Monday, July 30, 2012

Melbourne, Melbourne – this is what I came for.


It’s cheesy, but had to put it as the title. I love my trash series and E-entertainment and I’m not afraid to admit it (although, I am ashamed to admit it). Yes, I watched all the episodes of Suomi-tytöt New Yorkissa (= the Finnish girls in New York), probably the tackiest TV programme in a while (excluding the Shire in Australia, which is too much even for me - Jess, it really is ;) ). Luckily the show ended and I don’t need to watch (it’s a common fact that I was obliged to watch all the episodes online after the TV programme had ended – like at gun point).

Staying at Jess’s has been tough on me and my TV-holism. I’m like an alcoholic – if I open the TV, I have real problems to turn it off. One Wednesday a few week back I had a TV hangover (at least the bad conscious,  morkkis, part of it). I did a nice run on a Tuesday evening. After a refreshing shower, I turned on the TV, the idiot that I am. I watched TV from past five to eleven at night. Say what…?! I know – spooky and a little freaky too.  Everything from news to Voice of America to MasterChef Australia. I knew I was out of control when I finished the evening with an episode of Survivor (season 20?). The last time I watched Survivor I was living with my parents after finishing high school and thinking what I want to do with my life. Haven’t gotten very far now have I… ;) 

No, I think I have. My path to Melbourne has been interesting and I can only look back and be grateful. There was a meeting in Washington that my partner in crime, Jenni, visited. And she met my supervisor, Jane. This is when Jenni learned about the low FODMAP diet that had been ‘discovered’ (well, if you can discover a diet) in Melbourne at Monash University. Since she was getting tired of listening to my whining about my numerous stomach problems, she introduced it to me. 

And I gave it a go. No evident help. Went back to my notes (the copy of the booklet Jenni had received from Jane). This time I did it properly and carefully, and I started to notice change. Then more change. And before I knew it I could start living a more normal life, e.g. run when I wanted to and not only in the mornings when I didn’t have so much stomach problems). I sometimes need to stop and think what life was like before. Sounds dramatic, but what I mean by this is evenings spend bend in two with windows open thinking I can never have a boyfriend who’d bear with me and the stupid IBS. There, I've said it. That's what it's like be it embarrassing or not. Yes, IBS can be a real nuisance on everyday life.

So encouraged by my own experiments I looked more into the low FODMAP diet and research papers that even mentioned FODMAPs, which stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Monosaccharides And Polyols. Jenni was of immense help for pointing me to the right direction and for conversations on the topic. During this time I started to introduce the low FODMAP diet to the few IBS patients that I came across. And the results and experiences were promising, although one should also remember that there are numerous other factor behind IBS. 

Jenni also invited me to Kuopio in June 2011 to listen to a presentation on gluten sensitivity, given by Jess Biesiekierski. It was an excellent presentation (and not saying this because she’s currently my landlady ;) ) and I think the audience was a little awed by the topic. On the other hand, for me and Jenni there wasn’t much new, since we had been tossing and turning the topic upside down. And we continued to do so with Jess that evening in vendace restaurant Sampo and the terrace at Wanha Satama in Kuopio. It was so much fun to talk to someone who understood what we were talking about! (=nerds, and proud of it)

Beautiful, super smart blondes by the lake in Kuopio in June 2011.

Jenni and I had all sorts of ideas, some of which lead to a major collision in our friendship. I think we both were thinking that mixing work with friendship was a mistake. But luckily no. We’ve been friends for years now, and I suppose it’s only healthy that sometimes you take some time apart – just to realize that that friendship is too meaningful to let it slip away.

Fast forward: Was heading to the UK to a birthday party in November and before that happened to be looking for courses at King’s College for the summer of 2012. And boom. There was a low FODMAP course starting in November and it required to visit the UK two more times in January and at the end of February.  I knew this was madness, but I just had a feeling – I need to do this. Did it, was great: bonding, more knowledge, perspective, and I loved traveling to the UK. : ) Fast forward  2: Noticed we have a course for a 3 month practical training, asked Jess and Jane, if could do it here, in Melbourne. Answer positive, here I am. 


 The view from Alfred Centre aka work. Love the pink building on the right. Somehow I think it's related to Peppi Longstocking's Villa Villekulla.


And these cranes can be found in front of Box Hill office, where I spent the previous weeks, because was staying at Jess's place.

And this is what it looks like when I'm giving my effort to science. Breath testing, which leads to chills and bad temper, because I need to fast overnight and then huff and puff without breakfast for 3 hours (I'm pretty sure several readers know what that means...).

 So that’s what I’m here to do – learn more, see how research world works and get some ideas that could be applied in Finland. I will write another post on the results of the learning process in a few months’ time. 

Research (read: ethics papers) are a little frustrating for someone who's not use to this kind of work, but I'm very happy to be given this opportunity. At least I know how much work and effort it really takes to provide any sort of results in research! Respect to all who've chosen this as their career path - you go, guys and gals! :)

3 comments:

  1. It was very, very nice to read this post. :) Tiny things matter. -Jenni-

    ReplyDelete
  2. And often those tiny things are fermentable short-chain carbohydrates. ;)Cheers, matey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leena. Thanks for your entertaining blog. It sounds like you have had wonderful times exploring. I was particularly interested in reading your skiing and skiking adventures, as I have become increasingly interested in x-country skiing, and would love to do the Kangaroo Hoppet - maybe 2014! i heard about your blog from Len Budge, who sell Skikes in Australia. Where I live is a day's journey from Mt Beauty where my sister lives, whether that be driving or train/bus. By the way, it seems that you took the expensive bus from Melbourne, while the public transport, that is, Vline would be less than 1/2 that cost. Best wishes to you for further adventures! Jackie Nowell

    ReplyDelete