Sunday, September 23, 2012

Beach and beer life in Perth.

Days are numbered for me in Australia, which means I'm trying to make the most of it. I do miss home, I miss my family and friends, and somehow I'm starting to feel that this experience is ending too soon. It's just like I imagined; you start settling in, meet nice people that you'd like to spend more time with and then you find yourself at the airport with a return ticket in your hand. 

One of the most important and long-waited trip took place a week ago. Me and my ever-faithful Aussie companion, Jess, headed to check the city of Perth and Margaret River vineyards. Most importantly, I got to see my Tanzanian friend Esther, who's moved to Perth to study and work. I saw her last time in January 2010, if I'm not mistaken. I love that world has become smaller!

Starting our road trip to Margaret River with Ester...
... and Jess.
The week long holiday was such a success and full of good times. At the moment I'm drowning in online course deadlines, so I unfortunately won't have time to write a long story on our trip (at least not just now), but I hope the pictures will elaborate the recipe of a good summer vacation. ;)


Beach art at Yallingup.
There might be sharks out there, or then not. The surfer boys we met were saying to watch out. They on the other hand looked like they had been surfing all day.

Leena loves Cheeky monkey, because she can relate with them so well. Got the cap, beer coolers and main brewers contact information. :D
Whale spotting part I results (Augusta): the tiniest crab on the sand.
Blending in with bushfire forest in Augusta.

Fragrant flowers pleased us and the members of the local insect kingdom.
Need I say that the day long wine tour on a sunny Sunday was a success? At Watershed.
The company's name is a little tacky, but oh, who cares? Kippis, hölökynkölkyn, skool, cheers!
Sampling, sampling... At Evans&Tate.

Giant on a deer. An illustration from the upcoming mythology of Margaret River.


And we have a winner! Knotting Hill exclusivity and flavoursome wines were the best on tour.
Goofing.
The wine tour was lovely, but there's nothing like a paddle of beer at the end of the day watching the sunset.

There's also nothing better that Cheeky monkey beer. At noon on a Monday. :P
Nope, I did not take the picture hanging upside down at Ngilgi cave. These mushrooms are natural formations of limestone.

Helicitites haven't heard of gravity.

The caves were filled with stalactite, stalagmite, helicitite and shawl formations. The biggest cave has amazing acoustics. The stalactites won't come crashing down unless you sing Justin Bieber.
Whales did squirt water several times. That's what we saw of whales.

Whale spotting part II results (Cape Naturaliste): a lizard soaking in the sun 1 m away from us.

Cape Naturaliste visit turned out to be a history lesson, singing lesson (twinkle, twinkle little start to whales) and P.E. (running and hiking in the sand to spot whales that had just 10 minutes ago been by the shore). Still - loved it!
Beautiful women in the lighthouse tower with Yallingup in the background.
Someone in the upmarket Cottesloe misses their farm life? By the beach.
The Moscow circus came to Perth town.
Cycling in Perth with a decadent lunch stop: a cheesecake and Pimm's, though, it was more like drinking juice and fruit salad with a hint of Pimm's flavour. The Brits do it so much better. But with this weather and this view - loved it!
This is what Perth looks like on a sunny day. Great views! 
Esther and Esther took me to a lovely Indian, Mary Chutney's, the last evening in town. Haven't had this good Indian since Dar es Salaam!

What's missing from this photo cavalcade is pictures from Fremantle Prison Tunnels tour, where we took a 2,5 hours adventure underground in the former water tunnels of Fremantle. One of those experiences I will treasure for a long time. History of the place was creepy, but it was quite liberating being in the quiet caves once you got used to the idea of being in narrow caves 20 m underground. We walked around a little bit, but since you can't stand up straight, it was nicer to take tiny boats that we used to float forward. Like we kept saying for 6 days on most of the things we saw and experienced: I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment