Monday, September 10, 2012

Sydney - the city of sunshine, sights and maniac runners

I somehow missed the whole "plan your trip to one of Australia's most visited places" and ended up a) changing my flight from Wednesday to Tuesday on Monday so could have some tourist time b) reading about the city on the plane on Tuesday very early morning (departure time 6.30am) from my Lonely Planet, which has been published mere 12 years ago. Well prepared again! But what I lacked in preparedness, I won in the sense of being completely carefree and being able to enjoy the small things (cause I didn't know what the big things were).

The reason for me going to Sydney in the first place was not it's tourist attraction (I hardly even realized this factor before reading about it in Lonely Planet), but because I wanted to attend the 16th International Congress of Dietetics (ICD), this time taking place in Sydney with the title "Leadership, Evidence and Advancing Practices". I was quite critical of whether the congress gave me new insights or not, but now that I've had a few days to digest (pun unintended) all I heard and saw, I think it was well worthwhile to attend. I was really impressed with "our" team's (well, I am doing my training with these super minds...) presentations. So well planned and clear! Many of the other speakers should practice their presentations in the same manner!

But before the Congress kicked off on Wednesday, I had the whole Tuesday (thanks to that very early flight) to explore the city. Since we were located a walking distance from the harbour tourist area, I got plenty of exercise. For out I wanted to be! The sun was shining like no man's business and the weather was like bathing in warm milk (not that I've ever done that, but I'm pretty sure it's very soothing).



It also turned out to be a day of art, especially modern art. Firstly, I stumbled upon an art gallery. A big one. It's imaginatively name Art Gallery of New South Wales (NSW). Admission free - easy choice, will take a look. It turned out that this art gallery was carefully planned, collection was understandable, yet, raised questions too. My interest in art galleries has been hibernating ever since I purposefully went to Tate Modern in London a year ago. Permanent damage wasn't done, it seems, because I almost started crying of happiness. I felt the inspiration and sense of awe rinse me and fill me with creative ideas and a feeling of limitlessness. Like I got a buzz of new feelings and thoughts. My favourite was Yuken Teruya's paper trees in old shopping bags. Some of the brands included well known luxury brands like Chanel, but just as nice a tree was formed from a shopping bag by Lush (yummy scented soaps etc.).


Art by Yuken Teruya. A tree in a shopping bag. 


These pictures online, the ones I saw were in a dimly lightened room, which was beautiful but not ideal for photography.

I did spot some Finnish design as well (surprise surprise...). Represents our art well. Practical and simple. :D



The gallery was huge, and I really didn't have time to go through the whole gallery. Or I would've had, but there's a limit to how well you can concentrate on art inside when there's a sunny day outside. 

I continued my stroll keeping close to the waters front, which is quite easy uptown Sydney, since the central peninsula is not very big and bays of water form it's shores. Firstly, I focused on taking the perfect picture of a cocatoo. Results here: 

Not necessarily perfect, but way better than I've previously been able to capture.)


Then I paid more attention to passers by. A mass of runners coming towards me. No, they are also coming from behind me. I had noticed signs notifying about the Sydney marathon taking place later on this month, so I started first thinking is this some sort of rehearsal (yes, and idiotic idea, but hey, day off, brain partially switched off). Then I figured it out. Like panicked ants these fitness-fanatic corporate folk were trying to make the most of their lunch-break! I could feel the hair on my arms move when they sprinted past me - these guys weren't lazily jogging, they were running. Some in groups, some by themselves. I later learned in a newspaper article that looks really do play a role in this summer beach city. Luckily some of the men athletes had decided to show off the results also during their run. :P Forget Melbourne's Tan Track, this is the place to show off your running skills and catch that tan to show off. But seriously, fellow tourists,be warned: the sea front is busy during lunch-time!

Coming from left and right, front and back.





I on the other hand was enjoying the scenery and taking pictures of all the interesting things that came my way. One of them was this.





Another nice view was this.

I noticed a sign saying there was something called biennale in Sydney and there was a free ferry ride linked to the event. I went to wait for the next boat to Circular Quays pier number 6 and ended up waiting for good half an hour. A ferry came, I hopped on it. And off we went, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and past Luna Park. 







After about 15 minutes we started coming to a shore, a shore with a pretty peculiar view. Corrugated iron, rusted cranes, old concrete piers. "Where am I and what the heck did I come here for?"

Luckily we were given a map of the area as we hopped off the ferry. Centre page, the girl had said. Okay, found the map. It's the Cocatoo Island. Task number 2: Figure out why you are here. More flicking of pages. Okay, there's a modern art exhibition happening going on and installations are scattered around the island. Cool! A good adventure I hopped into! 

Man, more art-awakened emotions and feel-good moments. I loved it. Unfortunately, my camera showed signs of giving up on me battery-wise, but installations this big are meant to be experienced more than they are to be photographed anyway. 

My tourist day was only one of the four spent in Sydney and I did go back to the Opera House on my morning run. I left around seven and already then it was seriously warm and I was very happy I had taken a water bottle with me. I loved the heat, the morning views of the harbour area, parks - everything! We also eat out at a very traditional seafood restaurant, the Fish At the Rocks, established already in 1919. The Rocks is the oldest part of town and has a nice feel to it. Although, should admit that didn't see it in day light. This time. 

For I hope to be back. I hope to spend more time in the Art Gallery, have time to read all the information boards on Cocatoo Island, visit Manly beach during the summer and most importabtly... climb the Harbour Bridge for what I believe to be a very impressive view of the city!

****

Aaarrgh... Uploading pics is slow. Will try and post more at some point! 

No comments:

Post a Comment