Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Setting up a restaurant for a day - This is how it's done!

I've been eating very well during my stay in Melbourne and Australia in general. I have done some cooking, but haven't had any dinner parties or hard core cooking sessions. The blog crew of Mindo in Finland were setting up a restaurant for Restaurant Day in Helsinki and I decided to join in the fun - all the way from Melbourne!

The menu of the day consisted of several savoury and sweet foods listed here:
  •  Pumpkin coconut soup with roasted pumpkin seeds
  • Spelt Karelian pies (spelt crust with rice porridge filling)
  • Vatruskas (potato pastries)
  • Mint chocolate brownies (vegan)
  • Zucchini cake with Philadelpia icing
  • Blueberry-almond cake
 I think that was it! :) 


Most of the foods in the picture. Pumpkin soup was bubbling on the stove at this point.
 
I love pumpkin and these funny Chinese mushrooms. They look like Moomin characters - hattivatttisienia! :D


All food ended up being brown. Insprired by the upcoming Finnish autumn or what?! :D


The making of process wasn't all smooth and easy, and the spelt crusts stuck together and had to do it twice. Also note to self (yes, I'm aware I use this notion often... ), next time when baking muffins, buy muffin forms. All the effort was worth it, because I was very pleased with the end result and it seemed that the guests, my lovely Melburnian friends, enjoyed it too!

 
Spelt crust making with wine bottle filled with vinegary wine. It's in the shelf waiting for the next baking. ;)

Karelian pies with spelt crust

 
My sweet and beautiful guests -Tahlia, Jess (fresh PhD!!!), Emma and CK.
Almost-birthday-girl Tessa trying not to burn her tounge.


***
Suomenkielinen postaus tulossa luettavissa täältä:

http://mindo.fi/blogi/ravintolapaiva-la-melbourne


No comments:

Post a Comment