Tuesday, August 7, 2012

St Kilda pier - check, penguins - check, Victoria market - check, lanes and allies - check, Shrine of Remembrance -check...

The ultimate tourist weekend is behind me. I'm very happy I didn't go to the snow this weekend, though I was tempted. Came to my senses and remembered that we get plenty of snow and winter in Finland, and I needn't be worried of missing out on some experiences regarding winter activities... :P

Started Friday by leaving work early (not embarrassed to admit this - on my way to recovery from workaholism) to see a performance art show at the National Theatre in St Kilda organised by the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA). It was  by a German artist called Torsten Lauschmann and it was peculiar. I enjoy contemporary art, but I've long ago stopped analysing or trying to understand it. It's best enjoyed short and with an awe of "how did he/she come up with that?". The show was shorter than I expected (half an hour or so), so I wondered off towards St Kilda Beach - I wasn't in any kind of a hurry, since I had decided this is my week of doing what ever touristy thing comes to my mind. 


I took out my camera and made another promise: take as many pictures as you can during these couple of days. Make sure, you remember where you've been and that you have documentation of it. First, the amusement park Luna Park, which wasn't open, though. Perhaps it's open only during the summertime? The rollercoaster looks a little dodgy, so perhaps, I'm not missing out on anything. :D 

Luna Park gone mirror houses
The late afternoon was gorgeous, definitely one of the best weathers we've had since my arrival. I was so pleased, because I'm not much of a photographer (still learning to use my new camera) and it helps when the light is good. I strolled along the beach seeing all sort of things, like this: 


And some that pleased the eye even more: 


Rainbow tastes like bubble gum



The sun was beginning to set, and I had read somewhere that at dusk one ought to head to the end of St Kilda Beach Pier where there's a small colony of penguins. Although, I wasn't able to take a proper picture (no flash allowed) I did manage to see two penguins that were brave enough to come out to meet their admirers. The others seemed to like more the peace and visual protection the big rocks provided. However, they did make a lot of noise at some point (sounding like my nephew who has a fantastic talent of making a penguin sound; I can talk dolphin) and they stank. There, I said it. They may be cute and small, but they eat fish, hence they stink. So if one is blessed with the hound dog qualities that I possess (my Mom's nickname for me in Namibia aged 10), one can simply follow one's nose and wait for the penguins to show up. ;)



The back of a penguin :D

Even if the penguin spotting was modest in number of species spotted, I did get a good look at a swimming rakali, a water rat, that is also special to this location. The rakali is native species of Australia (tells the Wikipedia), and the one I saw was smoothly swimming just next to the pier. The funny detail was its white tail tip. Camera wasn't ready, so didn't get a picture of the fellow, but perhaps next time. For there will be a next time. St Kilda Beach is one of my favourite places so far in Melbourne, hippy, somehow unique and definitely beautiful. Jess just told be that one ought to be careful by the beach. There might be used syringes in the sand. Stick to the paved path, I say, and you'll be fine. 



St Kilda pier at sunset

Ended the evening with a glass of red wine at Little Blue, the kiosk at the end of the pier just next to the penguins. An amazing view, Rolling Stones and Gotye in the background - loved it! 

Since our house turns into an ice box somewhere around 4 am, I need to get up at 7 am even during weekends, because I NEED to put the heater on. This means lazy and long mornings, which is not bad either. So did a bit of shopping in the morning at eco d in Baldwyn and then took the tram to the city, aka CBD. I admit, I did feel like I was on a mission "See and experience the city - it's your duty!". Luckily, that feeling started to fade as I concentrated on taking pictures and just looking into the nice little shops and cafes the lanes offered me. I was guided by a small booklet they give out at the tourist information centre at Federation Square just downtown. This one was number 4 Arcades and lanes. 




I did stray from the path intentionally, because I decided to check out Queen Victoria Market, which has been operating since 1878. The market was packed with good things and then goodies made in China. I suppose I've seen so many markets in my lifetime that the place didn't at first struck me as something unique or a must see. But then I strolled to the organics and delicatessen section, which made me think, I need to go again. :D The market was closing for the day, so I think I ought to go there one morning to experience it then. I bet it's nicer then. Besides, I need to go back for the raw chocolate I got to taste, but tried not to buy too many things for me to carry. 




Someone's calling out for my dear nephew. :)

After Arcades and lanes, I intend to try the On the waterfront walking tour next weekend. If I'm in town, that is. :) 


Organic, healthy delicacies


A sly toucan on the wall 



Wheel of fortune - I know, I know! ;)

I ended the day by heading to the hipster area along Smith St and had a pint of lovely porter (finaly!) and a pizza (not so lovely) at Grumpy's Green. The best part was that there was some GOOD live jazz music being played and the atmosphere was really nice. But save your dinner money for another place. Perhaps the Las Vegan Bakery down the road towards the city. There are just so many restaurants in this town, that if I once get something not so great in one place, I wouldn't bother going back to eat there another time.
Sunday, third tourist day in a row - what is wrong with me?! ;) Although, I started the day early (due to the temperature) and by cleaning the house. Get the not so fun part of the day over and done with, even though, I seem to enjoy domestic household chores a lot more these days, when I'm mostly working on a computer. Trying to find the balance here. 

Well, it was sunnier when I left. This is the destination. The tallest building is Eureka Skydecker, which I aim to visit one of these days.

Sun. Possibility to get a little colour in a form of an Aussie tan. Solution: Take on the Main Yarra Trail with a bike. Distance from our place in Kew East to the city: 20 km. And like the name says, the trail goes along Yarra river and is somewhat clearly marked (roadwork at the moment, which can be distracting; my solution was to stalk a purposeful runner...). I left around midday so the trail track was busy with cyclist, runners and walkers, but we all fitted in well. My main problem was the fact that my landlord's bike's saddle isn't the most comfortable one I've been sitting on. I was wearing padded pants, but still, autsch.

I pedaled to the city's edge and then decided to check out the Tan Trail, a 5 km track around the Royal Botanical Garden, which is for tanning and running. Well, me, like a salmon in a stream went across the stream. For it seems that there is a direction that most of the people take (clockwise). My initial idea was to cycle to the beach (yes, I like it a lot), but since my butt wasn't cooperating and the clouds were gathering, I decided to check out the Shrine of Remembrance instead. 


The Shrine is a war memorial and inside the visitor's centre are pictures and information about the role of Australia and New Zealand in WWI and WWII. I thought the pictures were a good insight into war time conditions. One picture captivated my mind. It was a picture of an Australian soldier giving water to a Japanese prisoner of war who was severely malnourished and weak. A hand of a person not shown was holding the prisoner's head carefully and assisting him to drink. Makes you think. The Shrine is a must go to all visiting Melbourne. It gives you something to think about, but  also offers you an opportunity to view the city from the balcony. Past and present in balance. 

The trail was a lot quieter on my way back. It really doesn't take more than an hour to the city, depending on traffic and how fast you want to pedal. Next time I'll follow the Yarra Trail towards Westerfolds Park, the one I go to skike in. And that is 15 km away, so there really is an opportunity to combine cycling and skiking in one day... If only my bum can handle it. 








4 comments:

  1. Ihania ihania kuvia. Aikaslailla kaunista siellä. Otan J:lle talteen tuon nimikkokuvan :) Terkkui terkkui. Kävin juuri syöntimarjat oman vuoren pusikoista - villivattua ja mustikoita.. Ou jee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiitos kommentista!!! Lukijoita on, mutta kommentoijia ei. :/ Saatte kylla parempi laatuisen kuvan, kun tulen. :) Marjat kuulostaa hyvilta! Oijoi...! Taalla hedelmatkin on jarkyn hintaisia (paitsi kausihedelmat appelsiinit ja sitruunat), mutta pakkohan niilla on herkutella silla sen verran hyvia ovat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very strange to hear that the pizza that you ate there in Melbourne was not so well. Did you go to any famous restaurant that was specially skilled in serving the Best Pizza in Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should've gone, I'm sure! :D I'll make an effort next time when in Melba. But did have great gluten-free pizza in Port Campbell on our Road Trip to Great Ocean Road, though!

    Sorry, for this rather late posting of your comment. Have been busy in Finland, so my blog has not gotten much of my attention at the moment.

    ReplyDelete