Tuesday, August 28, 2012

To ski a marathon or not to ski a marathon?

If you are truly passionate about skiing, then this event is for you - The Kangaroo Hoppet.

Is it a struggle? Does it take your breath-away - in a non-descriptive way? Are there kangaroos on the track you could have a collision with? 

Yes, it's bit of a struggle, and yes, it does occasionally make you gasp for air. No, there are no kangaroos racing you to the finish line. 

The reason why I said it's for skiers-at-heart is because you really have to make an effort to a) get to the snow (4-5 hrs from Melbourne by car, longer if you take public transportation, which is of rip-off price b) you're not sure, if you'll even be able to ski and whether it's really going to be a ski marathon for you or not. So to ski or not to ski is really not up to you. 

It's up to the weather, which in mountainous areas is unpredictable and changes in just a few minutes. Therefore, I must admit: I didn't do a ski marathon. Neither did anyone else who dragged their tight-ski-bums up to Falls Creek. We did 30 km. 

Morning weather at Mt Beauty before Kangaroo Hoppet

And boy, that was some sweet 30 km. I fell in love even more with skiing, and even though, I thought I don't have a competitive gene in me, I feel like I really, really want to try and be faster and stronger at this. It's the same little reckless feeling after your first strong porter beer at a bar and the wild ideas that follow, or the one you get when you've been swimming in the icy water in Finland (at Rauhaniemi, if I may add). The sense of endorphins rushing through your veins. You know you can do anything you want and desire. I'm not sure, if I can make you understand my point, but this the best description I can give you. 

Due to strong winds, we weren't allowed to ski the highest peak and not climb up the Paralyser, which lives up to its name, like I learned the last time I was up at Falls. Instead, the track was quite easy, much, much easier than I expected. But this is just my experience from this year. Every skier will have a unique experience from year to year, depending also on whether they get altitude sickness or if the snow is icy. No ice this time, beautiful soft snow and I have my beneficiaries (meaning the lovely couple I borrowed my skis from) to thank for the awesome skis and waxing.

It was a little windy, but luckily I finished before worse weather took over the ski area. Felt sorry for the skiers finishing their laps. Due to mist and blowing winds the views were at times breath-taking and mystical, but hey, there's was no stopping to take pictures this time! 

This was my second ski marathon (of many more to come), and I think I did pretty okay, 2,5 hours with very little skiing behind me. The fastest ladies finished an hour before me, so long way to go. ;) Very grateful to Len for letting me skike with them on Wednesday, so I didn't completely forget how to ski during my "summer months".  

Last time I was complaining about the altitude taking a toll, but I honestly can say, I had no such experiences this time. I do admit - I did some lenient doping. I took liquid iron a month before, just in case. I didn't really feel like hunting down a lab to check my status, so I just thought I supplement mildly with iron and all the herbal + vitamin stuff that came with Swisse's liquid iron. The same company behind Aussie Olympic team, so can't be that bad. ;) 

The rest of the weekend was spent watching TV at the motel at Mount Beauty, where I could live my Goldilocks life, because I had three beds to choose from. :D I had really nice company on the way there and back, but felt like a total weirdo on my own at the evening celebrations, where I stayed for as long as it takes to drink down one gin&tonic. So one advice: try to do these ski trips with someone; preferably in a group. Small towns are picturesque, but for a lonely traveler they can be a little dull, especially when most of the shops were closed during the weekend. Even the places, which said open 7 days a week.  Maybe they ought to specify, which week. ;)  


Mt Beauty is not  a mountain, it's a valley. Logically.

The only graffitti I could find. :D

Autumn, summer, winter?


Where have I seen this view... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJo7aljnQg

Spring approaching

Local art work.


As always in Australia, the people I talked to during my stay, were super-friendly. If staying in Mount Beauty, I highly recommend Mount Beauty Motor Inn, which is clean, warm and cozy and the owner was very hospitable and flexible with check-out time. 

Since had plenty of time to look around, I took the opportunity to visit the visitor centre and learn about the history of the mountain area. I also too the time do some souvenir shopping and learning to photograph better while walking around the town. All in all, idle time turned out to be quite productive after all! :)

****

Pictures to follow, so pop in again to see them later! :)  Still problems with uploading at home.

2 comments:

  1. Niiiin reipas! Ja niin nopee ja kestävä, moisissa puolikeliolosuhteissa vääntäny menee. Oon ylpee sinusta! :P t. Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voih, Jade! Kylläpäs tuli ikävä! <3 Kiitos, kiitos! Vielä pitää reippautta ja vauhtia treenata, mutta onpahan tavoitteita. :)

    ReplyDelete