Tuesday, October 30, 2012

An ode to my friends - the tourist attractions

 
Since my arrival back to Finland, I've been living a washing machine life. Yes, unpacking and washing clothes, but really, everything around me is spinning (think essays, project plans, patients, weight management course, lectures, meetings, errands...). Uncontrollably. People have been asking me that how does it feel to be back home. I was away only for 3,5 months and since then I haven't really had time to stop and feel. My past has taught me that not feeling is the first warning sign. So now I'm slowing down. At least in my head. I intend not to panic about deadlines or tasks ahead of me. The world is not gonna stop spinning, if I need to admit I haven't been able to finish a task in time. It's not a nice, no, but I think that's just life. You need to deal with it. 

I feel that the past years in general have been quite a rollercoaster ride. And I mean, I've enjoyed all the peaks and valleys, it's not that. And I was getting a little anxious in Melbourne that I didn't get that sense of awe. It's  a nice city, no doubt, but I didn't feel like I never want to leave (with the exception of Albert Park perhaps). That is for the city, it's a whole different story with people.

I appreciate all the friends I've met and who I've befriended myself with, so my praise for my friends in Australia and Melbourne does not mean all my other friends are not as dear to me. It's been a blast seeing my friends after coming back, and meeting fantastic new personalities. Wouldn't change these crazy weeks people-wise for anything! ;)

It's just that Melbourne is far away, it hit me this grey morning that I'm not seeing them for a long time, and that I'm so very grateful to have shared those few months with great, charming people. I must say, Australia should start promoting their people as a tourist attraction. :D People are just so helpful, friendly and open-minded. At least that's how it felt (yes, did have SOME feelings in me). People are interested in people, no matter what age, what they do for living. They make you feel like they are interested in sharing their time and life with you, a complete stranger (at first, that is).

Emma's "g'day mate" card on my fridge started this snowball effect, and Jess' Facebook message made it even "worse". Come to think of it, I ought to think of it as a positive thing. I have friends to miss. I think I posted once on Facebook that I feel blessed to be loved on both sides of the globe. :) I know Finns hesitate to use the word love for anything more than family and really, reallly steady relationships. Well, I think that if you can't use the word love for your friends than I don't know when you can. 

Farewell drinks at at Chapel St Local Taphouse. Loved it. With Emma, Rosie, Tahlia, Jess, Emma, CK...


...Amir and a random guy with nice sunglasses.
 
And btw, I just read it's + 30 degrees Celsius downunder. I'm counting on you, lovely Aussie friends, to enjoy it for me! We have 3 degrees of greyness and humidity. Even you, Tahlia. ;) Have a nice cold beer for me too. ;)


A potential friend in the Royal Botanical Garden on my last day in Melbourne. For now that is. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment