Monday, June 18, 2012

The days are numbered – Number of the day 7


After spending 5 and half days in sunny Helsinki I’m trying to orientate myself to start thinking about the trip again. I’ve had such a lovely time with friends and family and attending the Global Health seminar and summit. Talking with my school mates (yes, in my mind Uni is a school) Amanda, Jimmy and Riina, we actually noticed we have in fact learned quite a bit during the past year. It was great to notice that I remember facts, I have started to think more critically and I’m able to comprehend entities better. I think it was a great way to end the school year! 

My nephew also got his name of Friday, and now instead of Matti we have Oiva Elias. J It’s great my brother and sister-in-law decided to call him that because my mom’s aunt’s late husband was called Oiva, and he’s as close as anyone can get to being a granddad for me. I never knew my real granddad’s (me being much younger than my siblings), so it was a very touchy moment when the name was announced. Oiva in Finnish means something like splendid. J  I had so much fun playing hide and seek with the abundant number of children in the garden of the papilla (rectory, learning new words here, or using the ones I normally don’t). I kicked my high heels away and found myself trying to avoid nettles and sticks when trying to find the perfect hideaway. I recommend play as sports to everyone. Good for the body and the soul. 

Not only did I engage in family activities (like making a pilgrimage to Marimekko outlet on Saturday with mom, sis and J), I also tried to take part in Helsinki activities, which this time meant having a gourd sauna and swimming in Töölönlahti with Milla. The sauna is awesome: soft heat and loads of moisture. I think there should be more of these everywhere in Finland and beyond. And this special event seemed to have an uplifting effect to Helsinki dwellers, because everyone was very friendly and talkative. It was quite funny when on the same day I read a small column at the local freebie magazine on the train that you’re not suppose to talk to strangers in Helsinki and that if tourist venture into the city from the countryside they should respect this feature. Well, the atmosphere in the sauna couldn’t have been further from serious, reserved and dull. Water was warm although quite murky, but well, hey, it’s not like I go swimming in Töölönlahti everyday! 

Orientating myself obviously means reminiscing my summer memories. ;) I’m very happy about my decision to leave at the end of the month, so I’ve had the change to experience the loveliest summer I know. The Finnish summer.<3 


No comments:

Post a Comment